Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Changes in the Wind...


Why is it that when we get comfortable in situations, they have to change? As a child there were always changes such as a new school, church, friends, or grade. Maybe a move from one town to another or one neighborhood to another. Just when everything was going smoothly – here came change.


As we get older, we may not have as many changes as we did growing up, but they are there. We also find as we get older, we've become "Creatures of Habit". We get into our routines or ruts and we don't like it when they get rearranged or we get off schedule. It can affect our mood and we don't even realize it.

But change is inevitable and we have to learn to go with the flow. That is easier said than done.
 



Why all this talk about change? Because we are experiencing change in our lives  -  street paving. How could street paving possibly wreck all this havoc in our lives?
 Our street has been an oyster shell and gravel street as long as we have lived here – 21 years. It is part of the old Florida look and we love it. It is a small, but cozy neighborhood and it is almost like time forgot about it.



 
There is just such a nice feeling here. But alas, the county has decided to pave it. With that comes meetings, discussions, opinions, etc. There are many life interruptions and some not so pleasant. Eventually the street will be paved and we will move on, but it is another change. It may not be a big one, but a change nonetheless that we are not happy about. 
 Having said all this - there are some changes that are very good and it is time to accentuate the postive. 
 A job, a house or a new town all offer wonderful opportunities for adventure. Learning new things can be exciting and fun as well. And so I turn the conversation to quilting. (You knew I would.) 
It is so much fun and challenging to learn a new technique in quilting. From the very basic and simple quilts to more complicated ones can really stretch you abilities. I remember when I went from machine quilting to hand quilting. That was a big leap, but one that I am glad I took as it has brought me so much enjoyment. And then I went from machine applique to hand applique - another big leap which I am glad I took. 

Now I am going to get out of my comfort zone and start to experiment with new techniques and TOOLS!   I am going to start experimenting with rulers!  I have the basic long strip cutting ruler which I use all the time. But I have all these fancy rulers that were "must haves" and I have never used them.


 
Well the time has come. I have several designs running around in my head and the rulers are calling.  So I will go to the C. A. T. House (Creative Arts & Textiles - but it was the cats' former home) and start experimenting. Maybe I will be able to show you where this change has taken me sooner than later. Hopefully we can say that change will be a good thing. Time will tell. 



   
Meanwhile I would ask you to share some of your stories relating to change and how you reacted or react when it comes along. I would love to hear them. We can all learn from each other.

I hope you enjoyed this blog today. Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter as I offer specials every month. Just add your name to the list. 

Until next time...

Nan



 





 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment