I first had to choose my colors and a design. So I went to the "Magic Box" of Island Batik Fabrics!
See the pink fabrics in the lower right corner. I used some of those fabrics in February for our Galentine challenge, but I had some left over.
Now I am not a pink person! It is my least favorite color, but there was a lot of fabric and I wanted to use it, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Now in all fairness, the Island Batik pink fabrics are lovely and great for sewing. But pink is just not my favorite color.
I decided on a design (an original) and I chose the colors. So much pink!
I started cutting.
I started sewing - lots of pink chains!
And then sewing the blocks together.
Here is my block on my design wall with so many threads that refuse to come off. It is like the Quilt History wall with threads from different projects. I think they have all become friends.
Batting and backing on the blocks and ready to go.
I chose a lovely Variagated Pink Thread by Aurifil and started quilting.
I was going to try the QAYG method of sashing between each block,
but then realized it would
mess up my design.
Uh Oh, switch to Plan B.
I checked many QAYG You Tubes and found a wonderful solution for my project. It was a You Tube by the Queen of Stitching! I found it to be quite fun and easy! See below.
So I started joining my blocks! I really liked the way this was shaping up. I would be done in no time!
Hurricane Harvey came and interrupted things!
I work with The Quilt Pattern Magazine -TQPM Kennel Quilt program. We make Kennel Quilts for shelters affected by disasters. As a former Disaster Responder for The Humane Society of the United States, I knew things were going to be bad with all the weather forecasts.
I turned from my QAYG project to making Kennel Quilts. Then on Saturday, I started checking with my contacts and found shelters that needed help.I have spent many hours coordinating efforts to get Kennel Quilts to shelters. I am happy to say that within four days over 500 Kennel Quilts have been mailed to five different shelters helping with the displaced pets thanks to the TQPM Kennel Quilt Team and we are expecting more to be sent.
But I digress.
Today I was able to get back to my QAYG project and started stitching on the binding.
Tonight I have been hand sewing the binding. I haven't finished yet, but plan to this weekend (lots of football to watch - Go FSU) so I will share it early next week.
This is one of my designs and it will be available later this year. The quilt measures 48" x 48".
I am calling it "Pink Plunge".
Thank you for stopping by.
Until next time,